Berkley is a town in Massachusetts with a population of about 6,630. The town of Berkley is in Bristol County. Living offers residents a beautiful suburban feel and most residents own their homes. In Berkley there are a lot of parks. Residents tend to lean liberal. The public schools in Berkeley are above average.
The Town of Berkley was established April 18, 1735, and named for George Berkeley, Bishop of Cloynes, Ireland. Berkley is bordered north by Taunton, east by Lakeville, south by Freetown and west by the Taunton River. The total area is 16.4 square miles. Berkley is in Bristol County, about 40 miles south of Boston.
Home of attractions like Lizzie Borden Bed & Breakfast Museum, Dighton Rock State Park, and Freetown-Fall River State Forest, Berkley’s history includes legends in 1675 on Conspiracy Island King Phillip formed his confederacy. Also 1675 Edward Bobbet (Babbitt) returning to his home became the first white man slain by Indians in the area during the War.
The first description Dighton Rock was noted in early 1690. Shipbuilding began in 1790 and continued for over 75 years. In 1866, the largest two masted schooner in the world was launched at Berkley Bridge. The Old Town Hall was built in 1849 and the Library was later constructed in 1918 by the Carnegie Fund.
The spelling change to “Berkley” was due to the carelessness of the engrossing clerk of the Massachusetts General Court. From 1858 to 1876 the Bristol County Central Cattle Show and Fair was held in Myricks. In the Spring of 1976 a contest was held in Berkley Schools for the design of a new Town Seal.
The entries were displayed at the Bicentennial Fair held on September 26, 1976. The seal was adopted at a Special Town Meeting held on October 6, 1977 to be effective as of January 1, 1978. Berkley’s old Town Hall, a two-story white clapboard building was built in 1849 and became home to Berkeley Historical Society.